Info Access Plus Limited, the IT firm named by the Lagos State procurement office as allegedly receiving N78 million for the upgrade of former Governor Babatunde Fashola’s personal website, has denied claims it was paid such an amount of money for the job. In a statement they released this evening, the company said when they applied for the job, they asked to be paid N12.5 million but were paid less than N10 million after the job was done.
Our attention is drawn to the twitter campaign alleging that the Lagos State Government (LASG), led by His Excellency, Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN spent Seventy Eight Million Naira (N78M) to upgrade the www.tundefashola.com web site, a site dedicated to giving citizens unfettered access to the Governor’s daily activities and open access to information. It is imperative to state here that, the website in question is not Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola’s personal website but an official website which reports and documents his official activities as a way of socially accounting for his stewardship to the people of Lagos State. This initiative of having an official website for the Governor was to build on the earlier commitment to open access which saw Governor Fashola being the first serving governor to publish his telephone number on the pages of newspapers. As pressure mounted on that number, the website and all of its social media handles became alternative platforms for people to directly engage with their elected governor.
- N12.5m was quoted for the upgrade of the www.tundefashola.com web site, which includes complete re-design of all the hundreds of page templates. Meanwhile, the LASG spent less than N10m on this and not N78M being bandied on the social around.
- Info Access Plus Limited will provide free technical support for the entire life cycle of the web site.
- Info Access Plus Limited will manage the contents of the site, which consist of press releases, speeches, photos, videos, etc for one year.
- Info Access Plus Limited developed and managed the first and only web-based 1-year Countdown Clock to May 29, 2015 on a 24-hourly basis off the back of this same service cost for a period of 1 year from 2014 to May 29, 2015.
- Info Access Plus Limited developed mobile apps for the top four platforms, namely Apple iOS, Google Play, Microsoft Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry World off the back of this same service cost.
- Info Access Plus Limited will provide free technical support throughout the life cycles of all these mobile apps also off the back of this same service cost.
- In addition, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN, personally paid for the www.brforg.org web site, even when he was the Lagos State Governor. He felt that www.brforg.org is the online presence of his Non-Governmental Organization, BRF Organization. Again, we state for the records, that the website in question is the official website of the Governor of Lagos State and not Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola’s personal website as being disparagingly alleged by the campaigners.
- According to Bloomberg, the Obamacare Enrollment System web site costs more than $2 Billion.
- According to the YCharts, the Annual Facebook Cost of Goods Sold for December 31, 2014, is $2.153B from revenue of $12.47B.
- According to the same YCharts, the Annual Twitter Cost of Goods Sold for December 31, 2014, is $446.31M from revenue of $1.403B.
- According to the same YCharts, the Annual Microsoft Cost of Goods Sold for December 31, 2014, is $33.04B from revenue of $93.58B.
- According to the same YCharts, the Annual Google Cost of Goods Sold for December 31, 2014, is $25.69B from revenue of $66B.
- According to the same YCharts, the Annual Apple Cost of Goods Sold for December 31, 2014, is $112.26B from revenue of $182.80B.
- All these private sector driven Operating Costs still run into several billions, while taking serious effort to reduce waste.
- It’s evident from these stated facts that good products take huge amount of planning, time and resources.
- Was the Facebook built and maintained with less than $500,000? Anyone making this claim is dubious.